Saturday, November 21, 2015

Communicate!

Without good communication, I have a had time believing that most relationships and marriages would be successful. Communication is so crucial in every aspect of life. If we fail to have good communication, our thoughts, feelings, and opinions can be lost or neglected and can make us and others feel neglected and unappreciated. I have noticed a big difference in my life between when I choose to communicate and be honest and open about my feelings and when I keep things bottled up.

When I keep things bottled up - especially things that are annoying me - I become irritable and end up exploding at someone over something usually small. It leaves everyone frustrated and bitter towards each other. When I am open and honest with others, it usually feels a lot better to get things resolved and out in the open. Even if the person resents you for a little bit, it is better then exploding at them for something insignificant.

Some tips for good communication are to be a good person, start the communication soft, attempt repairs, and let the other win. Be a good person. make sure what you want to bring up is really worth it and it is something that does need to be resolved. When bringing something up, start the conversation soft and not defensive. Use "I" instead of "you". Do not be defensive. hear the other out. If things do not go well, attempt to repair it. Apologize and try to re-communicate your feelings using different words. Finally, sometimes it is just better to let the other person win. If they are clearly not willing to give up or see your point, it is better to just let it go and accept that you tried.

Communication is so key to happiness in all relationships. I challenge you to try and use the tips next time you need to communicate something that could potentially cause conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment